Water crossing, water fording, or simply fording is a scary part of off-roading for many new or experienced drivers.
- AVOID! while ads and youtube videos may make a water crossing appear to be the picturesque dream of off-roading, fording carries many serious risks to the vehicle and of personal injury.
- Visually inspect the crossing.
- Physically inspect the crossing, water can be deceiving what appears shallow may, in fact, be deep.
- Keep slightly forward momentum to build a bow wave. Too slow and you will lose momentum, too fast and water will splash over your vehicle and risk it to damage
- if you stall in stagnant water be wary of restarting as water will rush into your exhaust lines, best is for a manual recovery.
- if you stall in moving water IMMEDIATELY EVACUATE ALL OCCUPANTS. Moving water can easily push and roll vehicles.
- Electrical Damage. Corrosion, short circuits, water logging
- Mechanical Damage. Hydro-lock, unknown obstacles.
- Total loss
- or even Loss of life